Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Summer Loving

Jenna Mindel wondering if summer's really here.... It's chilly today in Northern Michigan and not expected to climb out of the 60's.  We'll see as the day progresses.  I live in an area that attracts summer residents and tourists alike.   Living here, I'm privileged to regularly enjoy what makes the area so special - miles of  bike paths, beaches and gorgeous sights.  I hope I never take any of it for granted.

Some of my summer favorites are jumping off our breakwall....

Picking cherries....


Going to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park...


Snorkeling the bay for famous Petoskey Stones...


Taking in the sight of the majestic Mackinac Bridge..
And bike riding but I can't seem to locate a picture.  You get the idea. :)

So, what kinds of things or places to go are you looking forward to this summer?


Check out my website for my latest books set in Northern Michigan. www.jennamindel.com

3 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

You live in such a beautiful area, Jenna. Love the pics. I'm curious. What is a Petoskey Stone? This California gal has never heard of them.

Jenna Mindel said...

Keli,
They are a coral left over from the ice glaciers. Supposedly found in Upstate NY as well, but I've never found them when I lived there. Similar to Indonesian coral as well. Really cool rock and my husband and I have tons of them. (He makes stuff out of them) The picture I showed is one my husband hand scrubbed with wet/dry sandpaper.
Here's a link for more info....
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/ogs-gimdl-GGPS_263213_7.pdf

Thanks so much for stopping by and asking the question. I love Petoskey stones! Hunting for them is a blast.

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks for the information, Jenna. The Petoskey stones sound fascinating. It's cool that your husband uses them in creative ways.